Saturday, March 5, 2011

Neutrals vs. COLOR!

Carol posted the question on her blog Sofas and Sage "When a top designer hones his or her "look", is conscious thought given to the palettes used, based on how they will photograph?"  


I'm answering her question here with a resounding  "No!  I believe the designers truly like this look of neutral and how the white-on-white plays off of each other.  I read all the comments to her question of the post on February 27, 2011 and the only answer that came close to my belief is that designers might later want to pop some color in the neutral palette and change the accessories of the room to create a completely different look."


This is a question that intrigues me because I have a sister that is as equally fascinated by wardrobing and designing as I am.  She has formally studied it way more than me (architect by degree and recent fashion design student in NYC), so I will put her in Carol's category as a "designer".  I have no formal training.  I like color way more than she does and have recently been fascinated by our differences in wardrobe and interior decorating choices.  I think the answer goes back to personality.  I am a little more outgoing than she is and if you think about it, wearing bright fuschia draws a little more attention to oneself than a mellow pink.  I will try to differentiate our differences in home and wardrobe choices:



Meet Sarah and Donna.  Donna on the left and Sarah on the right.  I like colors; Sarah gravitates toward classic neutrals.


Donna needs bright fuschia!

Sarah likes a more pastel pink.



Donna needs a ton of color in her home.


Donna pops the color with orange in her living room.




Sarah has a classic neutral and white on white theme in her kitchen....recently painting her oak cabinets taupe and matching the kitchen wall color.  VERY stunning in person.  Very clean and inviting!



Sarah's Dining room looks like it belongs in a magazine....if it were professionally photographed...

So, even though Sarah is the designer and Donna is not, this would seem to support a theory that designer's may be thinking of how their work may photograph.  My theory is this:  Sarah truly loves the look and has created the home and wardrobe that reflect HER and her personality.  I also strive to dress authentically and decorate my home in an authentic manner.  Has nothing to do with marketing or photgraphs.  Color is what I like.  Neutral sophistication is what Sarah likes.






No comments:

Post a Comment