Sunday, October 2, 2011

What do I do with a free Saturday? Wardrobe my own closet!

It's a new season and a new career journey for me and I've gained a little weight around the middle so what do I do with a free Saturday?  SHOP IN MY CLOSET!  I had recently made some fall purchases, and wanted to create some outfits for work around them so here goes...

Bought identical suits in tan and black (the jackets are being returned for a better size - who knew I wasn't tall on the top half of my body?) so here are the pants.


Then I pulled out seasonal clothes in the same colors and started to mix and match:


Two things to point out here:  The details or final accessories are ALWAYS what matters to make the outfit fun and "pulled together" and so it's the pin, necklace, shoes and bags in each picture.  Also make note of how completely different the outfits would have looked had I paired the black sweater with the black pants and the color-blocked top with the tan pants.  It's OK to do that, but the look would have been totally different.  So how do I know which goes with which?  I start with some words on how I want to look: "casually professional".  Approachable, friendly, roll-up-my-sleeves kinda worker.  That's achieved by making it look like I just "threw something together" but trust me, this takes work!  The all-black column woulda looked more sophisticated and therefore standoffish....better if I were an executive vs. and executive ASSISTANT.  Get it?  Also, the black-on-black without the blouse better if I were going out for cocktails vs. going to work.  So I guess here's my point and passion:  EVERYONE can work with what they have in their closet and pull together the best possible outfits.  You don't have to have the style "gene" because even stylists will try one necklace vs. a 2nd one and will immediately be able to tell which one works better. Trust me - YOU can do it too, you just may not have the patience to pull outfits out of your closet and experiment, but once you do, AND THEN RECEIVE COMPLIMENTS, you will keep doing it!  
OK, here are the details/accessories up close - which make me excited to wear each of the above outfits.



No comments:

Post a Comment