Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Black Boots Dilemma Solved!

Okay, so I was looking to emulate this silhouette.  What could be so difficult?  I'm a fashion consultant and this new look would be good on my tall body frame AND go with my life.  I was anxious to incorporate the new black pant/leggings that I had already purchased into my wardrobe.

I even found the look featured in a Garnet Hill flyer.  I love everything about this picture:  the length of the jacket, the funnell neckline with the princess seaming, the flat boots and even the colors!!! (I'm a red head and I know those designers know what they are doing when they have photo shoots like this.  I also know that black washes me out, and although the coat appears to be black, it is really a dark gray.  A MUCH better choice for me!)

Patagonia® Lidia Parka

When I went to purchase the coat and boots when the sale catalog came out; both were gone.  No surprise, so I set out to Wrentham Village Mall to get me those elusive black boots (I already have brown but the calves don't fit over any sort of pants) that I needed to complete my winter wardrobe!  My budget was $200 and I had a vision of hitting a sale at Cole Haan, so I started in the middle of the mall.  Quickly navigating 4 shoe stores before I would come upon the Cole Haan outlet, I tried on about 4 pair of boots - passing up "good for great!"  I learned that the Cole Haan store only had a pair of suede dress boots that would fit the bill for wearing with skirts, and since they were 60% off, I could consider going back to a previous store and buying a 2nd pair of boots to create the look above.  I didn't love both pair of boots, although they would both be under my $200 budget.  I also didn't want to spend my Saturdays shopping for boots.  I salivated over the pair of boots the sales rep was wearing, and a former customer even pranced around the store wearing her version of the style I wanted.  There were none in the store to be sold.  I pressed on.  Dejected, I hit the last store: Off Fifth.  I knew that there was a possibility of my finding Michael Kors boots - the MK rep had told me so, but I really wanted one pair of quality boots to do the job:  to be able to wear with skirts to the office, and over leggings for the look above.  That's my goal, afterall: to have a minimalist wardrobe that fits the life I want to have!

As I was bending down to try on a pair of black suede "Lucky" brand boots, my eyes saw two boxes under the shoe racks. In one of those boxes was the perfect size, black Air Petra Tall Cole Haan boots that I had just admired on two women back at the Cole Haan store!  I was a-emotional as I knew this would happen. Of course they were 40% off, and in my size and color.  Of course they were just laying there for me to find, and of course there were not others in other sizes.  My boots, laying right there.  Waiting for me to open my eyes and see them.


I had done my homework to get these.  Most importantly, I had freed up the space in my life to attract these. 2 years ago I gave away my only pair of black dress boots to a friend, because the heel hurt me.  I watched her wear them in pride.  Then I replaced those boots in July with a pair of ultra-inexpensive black suede flat scrunchy boots that were way too young-looking for me.  I gave those away to my son's 15-year old girlfriend a few months ago.  So, I've been making do with black hose and black shoes in search for my perfect black boots.  Well, feast your eyes on these puppies! Gorgeous Cole Haan boots!

Exhausted but exhilerated, I now wanted to find a top or a coat to fall just below my crotch, so I could put the look together.  Yes, I had 2 sweaters at home that could fit the bill, but neither were perfect.  It was getting late and I had to do some grocery shopping, so I went to my favorite TJMaxx Stop & Shop combo in Milford.  I debated on grocery shopping first (delayed gratification) but I knew if I found the perfect top in TJMaxx then I would be exhilerated enough to get some grocery shopping done.  After trying on 10 tops and numerous coats, I emerged victorious with the perfect gray fleece, funnel neck, zip front jacket.  Oh yea, the length was just below my crotch.  YAY!  I did it.  I wore it out of the store - with my new boots.  Complete ensemble in 4 hours!!!!

Long Down Hooded CoatHere's the fun part.  I was wearing my authentic outfit, and something happened in the grocery store that has never happened to me before.  I was checking out, and the fish counter guy came up to me and told me he had mis-priced my fish and he would go back and get me the correct price!!!!  OMG......how does that happen?  I wasn't even smiling alot.  Just walking around a grocery store in my gray and black outfit (usually I need MUCH more color than that!)

Of course, I noticed every boot/coat combination on all the women in the store.  Some got it right; most did not.  Here are some tips:  The 2nd longer coat picture above is OK, but is not as slimming as the length that falls just below your crotch.  Is there a better word for "crotch"?  Someone please correct me.  But the point is that the 2nd coat is about 8 inches longer than the first - this is a HUGE difference.  Changes the entire appearance.

Helpful hints of what NOT to do:


  • Please don't wear "mommy jeans" - EVER
  • If your pants taper at the bottom, make sure they don't start out wide at the top.  (Rule of thumb:  if they were bought 7-15 years ago, do NOT wear them.)
  • One new look is slim legs and pants, and most women should cover their butts while wearing them.  Even if you have a yoga-pant-worthy butt, the entire leg slimness is too much - you look EXPOSED.  A very slim woman was standing in a bank line sporting this exposed look and everyone in line could not help staring at her undescript butt.  Don't do it!


  • Keep your pant leg as slim as you can if you tuck in your boots.
  • The taller the boot; the better, for the new look.
  • I'm on the fence for UGGs on women over 30.  I even like the croc sandals (because I can garden in them) but I have no desire to get me a pair of UGGs.
  • Have fun keeping stylishly warm this winter!


Feel free to comment with any fashion questions you may have!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try that again! I agree about UGGs on women over 30. they look like large anchors at the bottom of my legs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeh, there's plenty to do to be stylish and even trendy, but not sure UGGs is one of them! Thanks for commenting, Sue, and helping me get the mechanics of this blog going!

    ReplyDelete